1. Accessing the Internet when Minikube

Accessing the Internet when Minikube

Home Forums FABRIC General Questions and Discussion Accessing the Internet when Minikube

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Vaiden Logan
    Participant

I have a Fabric VM with Minikube and Docker installed. I start minikube with “minikube start”. When I try to ping any IP address on the internet (I’ve been trying 8.8.8.8), the packets never get a response. Pinging the IP of the host the pod is running on works fine.

What special configuration do I need to do (maybe a proxy?) to access the Internet?

Ilya Baldin
      Participant

Hello,

This depends on which site your VM sliver is ending up. It is most likely you are on an IPv6 management site in which case it is worth looking at your DNS setup. By default the DNS servers *should* resolve IPv4 sites using our Nat64 capability, but it sometimes depends on the image.

You can also try manually configuring your DNS to use nat64.net setup.

Read more here about this.

Ilya Baldin
        Participant

If you are trying to reach IPv4 (8.8.8.8) from inside a container, then the issue likely is that you need to enable IPv6 in the container network since the management network you are on is IPv6.

1 user thanked author for this post.
          Vaiden Logan
          Participant

If you are trying to reach IPv4 (8.8.8.8) from inside a container, then the issue likely is that you need to enable IPv6 in the container network since the management network you are on is IPv6.

Thank you. It turns out Minikube doesn’t support IPv6 at all, which is a surprise to me. Thank you for your reply.

Ilya Baldin
            Participant

You can test this on one of the IPv4 sites (e.g. I believe MAX or TACC) – if it works there, but not onĀ  other sites, the issue is IPv6. You should easily be able to tell if a site is IPv4 by the management IP address you are given when you create a slice (we really should make a list, but it’s pretty short).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.