1. Coupla questions

Coupla questions

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Bruce Hartpence
    Participant

1 – I have not been able to find instructions to tool installation. For example we typically install tcpdump and net-tools via yum but you need to be root …

2 – Been experimenting with nodes on the same aggregate (to use a GENI term) and am not sure about about the “proper” setup. I have a base node, node with a shared NIC and two nodes with shared NICs connected via an L2bridge. All are on the MASS aggregate. Aside from getting an extra interface there does not seem to be much difference (I realize the NIC has features) and they all can ping each other. So, when experimenting at layer 2 it is not clear from the network service definitions the use cases for each type of connection.

3 – I have been through several of the examples and it appears that to create a simple L3 routed topology you use multiple sites. However, ip forwarding using Linux VMs is less resource intensive and can be done with a single site. I am used to building VMs in a local testbed and so could use a little guidance – what is the approach to be used for a simple 3 or 4 network routed topology? And what level of control do we have over the VMs once they are running for things like adding routes?

Getting there,

Bruce

Ilya Baldin
      Participant

1. You have sudo on all VMs. Please see example notebooks, many of them show how to install additional packages via yum or dnf, depending on the distribution. E.g. look at the GPU notebook.

2. You may find the following article useful to better understand distinctions between services. You may also find this article useful to understand the differences between interfaces. In general FABlib does the right thing most of the time if you just tell it you want L2 or L3 and you don’t need to worry about L2STS, L2PTP or L2Bridge. There are some corner cases, but it doesn’t sound like you are near those.

3, Which one (L2 or L3) you pick depends entirely on what you want to do. L2 services require you to set up your own L3. L3 (IPv4 and IPv6) services come with prepackaged routing that is done internal to FABRIC dataplane outside of the VM. You don’t need to be on different sites, you can be in the same site.

As I mentioned you have full sudo rights. However be cognizant of not removing the default route that usually points to the management interface – you will cut off your access. This applies regardless of whether you build your own L3 or use one of our FABNet services.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.