1. Create Nodes with IPv6 address

Create Nodes with IPv6 address

Home Forums FABRIC General Questions and Discussion Create Nodes with IPv6 address

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Xusheng Ai
    Participant

Hello,

As we deployed our test environment on Fabric, we might have a problem with nodes’ IP addresses. We tested using NDN to send interests between nodes, but when we created nodes with IPv4 addresses. NDN was not working because we didn’t know the private address of the nodes, so we got packet loss. However, this problem will be automatically solved when we use the IPv6 address of the node. I was wondering if we could specify an IPv6 address when we create a node.
      I have run some tests. For the site ‘UTAH’, the slice manager will assign nodes with IPv6 addresses but for the site ‘TACC’, the type of IP address is always IPv4, even I set management ip = ‘ IPv6’. Does that mean some sites support nodes with IPv6 addresses and others don’t?

Thanks,
      Best regards,
      Xusheng

Paul Ruth
      Keymaster

You can’t set the management IP. It is picked from a pool managed by OpenStack.

In general, we will discourage using the management network for experimentation. For now it is acceptable because we have not yet developed a way to peer a dataplane network with the public Internet.  This service is coming soon.

For your application, is it possible to boot the node, then find the IPv6 management IP, and finally start the service?  It seems that if it works with a known IPv6 address that was assigned, then it should work if you automate getting the IPv6 management IP then starting the service.

It this doesn’t seem possible, can you describe your experiment in a bit more detail? I might be able to figure out the best way to get your experiment working.

Paul

Xusheng Ai
        Participant

Sorry that I didn’t make it clear.
          Boot nodes and then find the IPv6 management IP works for us.  I was wondering how could we request an automatic IPv6 for the nodes. Because when I created the slice on some sites like UATH, the nodes’ management IP  type is IPv6, but on TACC the nodes’ management IP type is IPv4. Does it mean that TACC site is not support IPv6?

Thanks for the information,

Xusheng

Mert Cevik

Does it mean that TACC site is not support IPv6?

Yes, TACC site does not support IPv6, it supports IPv4 addresses.

Sites MAX, TACC (and upcoming MASS) support only IPv4 addresses.

Sites STAR, MICH, UTAH, NCSA, WASH, DALL, SALT support only IPv6 addresses.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Mert Cevik.
            Justin Presley
            Participant

It might help to have some more details.

We have a service (NDN) running on top of the IP layer on port 6363.

We want to not only allow easy internal communication but also external which we plan to figure out later. We initially ran into some issues using IPv4 as our packets were not getting through. We figured that our packets were dropped by the public address and not forwarding the packets to the desired private address due to not knowing about this communication.

IPv6 was the ‘goto’ solution as this communication issue does not occur and would be easiest to use.

I am assuming there is something we could set up (in our slice creation) to let the public addresses at the sites we are using to know about / allow the communication?

Kind regards,

Justin

Mert Cevik

If you create an example slice to reveal the problem, we can work on it to understand better, suggest solutions, consider changes on public ACLs. Please let us know with the name of the slice and FABRIC site, if this sounds good for you.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.