1. Enable DPDK on Fabric Nodes

Enable DPDK on Fabric Nodes

Home Forums FABRIC General Questions and Discussion Enable DPDK on Fabric Nodes

Tagged: ,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

How can I enable DPDK on SharedNICs and Dedicated NICs?

I’m using a node with OS Ubuntu 22.04 to do the tests with the DPDK, unfortunately without success so far.

What most caught my attention was that the newly created nodes use an AMD processor and not an Intel one.

—bash
    $ lscpu | grep “Model name:” | sed -r ‘s/Model name:\s{1,}//g’
    AMD EPYC 7532 32-Core Processor

On nodes created some time ago using Debian OS 10 it was possible to check the active DPDK service (sudo service dpdk status). Which is currently not possible.

Is there a way to search a site that has the DPDK enabled for testing?

Ilya Baldin
    Participant

Hello,

All CPUs in FABRIC are AMD, so Intel-specific DPDK optimizations aren’t available. For more information you may want to look at this thread https://learn.fabric-testbed.net/forums/topic/dpdk-tm-capabilities/

Hello Ilya, thank you for answering me!

In this thread, is DPDK enabled on FPGA interfaces? Is there any material that helps this DPDK activation?

Ilya Baldin
      Participant

The thread I pointed you at was discussing using DPDK with SmartNICs, I belive. There is nothing we do to enable or disable DPDK – you are free to install it and configure it as any other software package. We currently are not able to provide things like NUMA topology information, but we are working on that.

Specific to FPGAs – none are available right now – we are in the process of sending them out and installing at sites. Programmatically (via API) we expect them to be available in early summer. Again – there is nothing that is stopping you from using DPDK with FPGAs once they are available – it is entirely up to you as an experimenter. The use of DPDK also strongly depends on the specific FPGA toolchain you choose to use. We do not dictate a particular toolchain.

yoursunny
        Participant

On nodes created some time ago using Debian OS 10 it was possible to check the active DPDK service (sudo service dpdk status). Which is currently not possible.

This just means that DPDK isn’t preinstalled, which arguably is a good thing as there are many compile-time options that can optimize for performance. You can install it yourself from DPDK source code.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.