1. error when attempting to numa_tune

error when attempting to numa_tune

Home Forums FABRIC General Questions and Discussion error when attempting to numa_tune

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Gregory Daues
    Participant

I was making a first attempt to utilize this code

slice = fablib.get_slice(slice_name)

for node in slice.get_nodes():
      # Pin all vCPUs for VM to same Numa node as the component
      node.pin_cpu(component_name=nic_name)

# Pin memmory for VM to same Numa node as the components
      node.numa_tune()

# Reboot the VM
      node.os_reboot()

from the jupyter example
      https://github.com/fabric-testbed/jupyter-examples/blob/main/fabric_examples/complex_recipes/iPerf3/iperf3_optimized.ipynb

and I obtained the error message
      Pinning Node: compute1-ATLA CPUs for component: Tr1.NIC1 to Numa Node: 1
      Fail: Cannot numatune VM to Numa Nodes [‘1’]; requested memory 65536 exceeds available: 31825

My Slice has nodes with 16 cores and 128 GB ; any commentary on such a message ?

Greg

Komal Thareja
      Participant

Hello Greg,

node.numa_tune() tries to pin the memory for a VM to the Numa Nodes belonging to the components attached to the VM in the current implementation.

Looking at the sliver details, this sliver has 64G memory allocated. The Numa node for the component attached to this VM is Node 1. In our topology we have 8 Numa Nodes per worker and each is allocated 64G memory. The error message above implies that the requested memory in the above case (64G) is not available on the Numa Node(1) and hence the VM’s memory cannot be pinned to Node(1).

sliver_id: '0764c99c-0e76-4aaa-94de-c291bd2b23f0',
        'name': 'compute1-ATLA'
        'capacities': '{ core: 16 , ram: 64 G, disk: 500 G}',
        'capacity_allocations': '{ core: 16 , ram: 64 G, disk: 500 G}'

Also, in the current version, the API doesn’t allow to pin only a percentage of the memory to the numa node. We will work on adding that capability to serve the memory request better in the next release. Appreciate your feedback!

Thanks,

Komal

Gregory Daues
        Participant

Hello Komal,

Yes I thought I had 128 GB memory but indeed it is only 64 GB.  Would it be more likely to succeed
          if the VMs has 128 GB memory ?

Greg

Gregory Daues
          Participant

Or perhaps eve 256 GB on the VM to ensure that 64 GB is free.

Greg

Komal Thareja
            Participant

No, having lesser memory requested would have better chances or deploying on a relatively less used site would give better success. I checked on the portal GPN seems to be very sparsely used. Please consider requesting the VM there and try with 32G ram.

Upper limit for a VM connected with only one component would map to a single Numa Node. Max limit on memory for a numa node is 64G so exceeding that limit would not work.

Adding more flexibility to this API would help alleviate this issue. Will definitely work on that and keep you updated once that is available.

Thanks,
              Komal

Gregory Daues
              Participant

ok I misunderstood the ‘memory fit’, I will try lower such as 32 GB, and make a new Slice.

Greg

yoursunny
                Participant

Upper limit for a VM connected with only one component would map to a single Numa Node.

What happens if there are multiple components that are on distinct NUMA sockets?
                  Is it possible to specify how much RAM to pin to each NUMA socket?

Max limit on memory for a numa node is 64G so exceeding that limit would not work.

If we pin a CPU core or certain amount of RAM onto a NUMA socket, does it prevent other VMs from using the same CPU core or RAM capacity?

Komal Thareja
                  Participant

@yoursunny

What happens if there are multiple components that are on distinct NUMA sockets?
                    If you have multiple components, we try to pin the memory for the VM to both the Numa Nodes.

Example: your VM has a ConnectX-5 and GPU both on different sockets, invoking numa_tune would pin the memory to both the sockets provided that the combined available memory on both the sockets >= requested VM RAM.

Is it possible to specify how much RAM to pin to each NUMA socket?
                    In the current version, this is not supported. We may be limited on this by the underlying OS API as well. But we would explore to improve on this.

If we pin a CPU core or certain amount of RAM onto a NUMA socket, does it prevent other VMs from using the same CPU core or RAM capacity?
                    Yes, if you have pinned CPUs/Memory to a specific NUMA socket, other VMs cannot use the same cores/memory on that socket.

For CPU pinning, you can explicitly specify how many cores to pin to a Numa Node.

Thanks,
                    Komal

1 user thanked author for this post.
                    Gregory Daues
                    Participant

I created a Slice with 32 GB memory VMs at multiple sites, and I see that the Pin and numa_tune succeeded
                      at  GPN, NCSA, EDC, RUTG, but failed at  INDI, STAR,  TACC
                      (requested memory 32768 exceeds available: 9323  type error)
                      So I suppose this should just be viewed as an issue of the available resources at the site at
                      the current time .

Greg

Komal Thareja
                      Participant

You are right Greg, this is totally dependent on how much memory is available on the Numa Node on the Host where your VM is launched at the current time.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.