1. Getting up and running

Getting up and running

Home Forums FABRIC General Questions and Discussion Getting up and running

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Bruce Hartpence
    Participant

OK, posting in the right place …

1 – I think the configure notebook ran and I successfully ran the “hello_fabric” notebook. I also ran the l2 LAN example. I am not sure why I ran into errors with fablib previously but I am sure the error is between the keyboard and the chair.

2 – Slice builder did not initialize for me but after several tries I now have the interface shown in the “First Slice” guide.

3 – As requested, posting the contents of my rc file

export FABRIC_CREDMGR_HOST=cm.fabric-testbed.net
      export FABRIC_ORCHESTRATOR_HOST=orchestrator.fabric-testbed.net

export FABRIC_PROJECT_ID=b55cc265-97af-4597-8c2f-c38b0618d3e1
      export FABRIC_TOKEN_LOCATION=/home/fabric/.tokens.json

export FABRIC_BASTION_HOST=bastion.fabric-testbed.net
      export FABRIC_BASTION_USERNAME=bhhics_0000086577

export FABRIC_BASTION_KEY_LOCATION=/home/fabric/work/fabric_config/bastion_key
      #export FABRIC_BASTION_KEY_PASSPHRASE=

export FABRIC_SLICE_PRIVATE_KEY_FILE=/home/fabric/work/fabric_config/slice_key
      export FABRIC_SLICE_PUBLIC_KEY_FILE=/home/fabric/work/fabric_config/slice_key.pub
      #export FABRIC_SLICE_PRIVATE_KEY_PASSPHRASE=

export FABRIC_LOG_FILE=/home/fabric/fablib.log
      export FABRIC_LOG_LEVEL=INFO

export FABRIC_AVOID=”

export FABRIC_SSH_COMMAND_LINE=”ssh -i {{ _self_.private_ssh_key_file }} -F /home/fabric/work/fabric_config/ssh_config {{ _self_.username }}@{{ _self_.management_ip }}”

Ilya Baldin
      Participant

Are you still having problems logging in (to VMs via SSH)?

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by Ilya Baldin.
        Ilya Baldin
        Participant

Looks to me like you are all set – your fabric_rc looks as expected.

I am not sure the issue with loading the portal/slice builder. The usual advice is to log out, remove all cookies that start with ‘fabric’, then log back in.

Bruce Hartpence
          Participant

Thanks for checking – I was able to get a manually created slice up and ssh into the VMs. Just getting used to the tools and ideas – a bit different than GENI but looks nice so far. Also trying to figure out the best strategy for keys, work storage, etc. so I am going through the posts and guides still. The goal is to get a couple of our team members into the project and able to work with the slice. Slow but sure on my end 🙂

Ilya Baldin
            Participant

Understood,

Please encourage them also to ask questions here on the forums. Suggestions for features and documentation are always welcome (we may not do it right away but we do take notes).

Bruce Hartpence
              Participant

Will do!

Bruce Hartpence
                Participant

OK, we have gotten to the point where we are adding group members. To start we have three professors (me and two others) that should be able to create/delete/etc. Should they be set as project leads and should we all be using the same slice keys?

Ilya Baldin
                  Participant

No, as per documentation, Project Lead role is needed to create new projects (I strongly suggest looking over that article, particularly its last section). If the project has been created, they can be members or, if they want to be able to add other members like their students, they can be project owners. All members of the projects (owners, regular members) have the same rights with respect to  creating slices. Sliver keys should be generated on a per person basis.

If they wish to access each others’ slices, they can add each others’ public sliver SSH keys into VMs in their slices (this can be easily done using ‘node.execute(command)’) after the slice is created. The keys need to be appended to ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file in each VM. We are adding a more programmatic way to do it, but it is not currently available.

Ilya Baldin
                    Participant

Note that the latest ‘Bleeding Edge’ container has an example of a notebook that shows how to push extra SSH public keys into a slice at creation time.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.