1. leaflet broken?

leaflet broken?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    James McCauley
    Participant

According to the “Brief JH outage” announcement today, it seems like the JupyterHub images were changed to an older version than they had been, though on casual glance, it looks like they’re not as old as the ones which were in use a week or two ago. I suspect these current images are responsible for the fact that some leaflet code in my notebook is no longer working. I do believe it had been working with both the old images and the ones that were replaced today, but does not seem to be working now with the current ones. I’ve tried it in both the stable and bleeding edge.

My code is part of a bigger notebook, so it’s hard to come up with a minimal example based on it. However, I grabbed a minimal leaflet example off the web and it appears to fail in the same way as mine does, and I expect it would have worked if I’d run it a week ago.

# From https://ipyleaflet.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
      from ipyleaflet import Map, basemaps, basemap_to_tiles

m = Map(
      basemap=basemap_to_tiles(basemaps.OpenStreetMap.Mapnik),
      center=(48.204793, 350.121558),
      zoom=3
      )
      m

There’s more to the error message, but part of it is:

Failed to load model class 'LeafletMapModel' from module 'jupyter-leaflet'
      Error: No version of module jupyter-leaflet is registered

Additionally, the browser’s console log shows a bunch of what appear to be version mismatches.  I’m not enough of a Jupyter user to really know what they all mean, but if forced to guess, I’d guess it’s something to do with mismatched frontend/backend versions.

Was this, indeed, caused by the recent switch of container images?  Any insight?  Is it something I can fix with pip/conda/whatever?

Komal Thareja
      Participant

Thank you for reporting this issue James! The new image pulled some newer jupyter packages which required change in the way Widgets are installed/registered. This was causing the failure. I have updated the image and deployed the fix. Please try your notebook and let us know if you still observe errors.

Appreciate your help with this!

Thanks,

Komal

James McCauley
        Participant

Yup, it’s working again.  Thanks!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.