1. Local NAS storage/VM

Local NAS storage/VM

Home Forums FABRIC General Questions and Discussion Local NAS storage/VM

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Praveen Rao
    Participant

Good morning.

I see that the Slice Builder has an option to add local NAS storage to a VM. However, when I tried to create a slice with NAS, it failed. Is this feature fully ready to use? Also, would you be able to update jupyter-examples-rel1.4.3/fabric_examples/native_api/benchmarking_storage.ipynb with more information? Currently, the Notebook says that “Network attached storage is not yet available on FABRIC. This notebook will be updated to when it becomes available.”

Thanks,

Praveen

Paul Ruth
      Keymaster

Thanks. We will update that. It probably won’t be the default until the end of the semester so that we can keep everything stable for educational users.

Ilya Baldin
        Participant

Praveen,

Persistent storage does work and is in use by a number of users. We will check what is going on with the portal provisioning, just be sure to use the correct sites and volume names – you have to remember that we allocate persistent storage ahead of time on the specific sites you request via the ticket system. If you try to use it on another site where this volume hasn’t been allocated, the provisioning will fail.

Praveen Rao
          Participant

Hi Ilya,

I was referring to the local NAS feature for a VM that shows up in the Slice Builder. Essentially, we want to have ample ephemeral storage on a VM to store and process genome sequences using a cluster of VMs (say 8).

Yes, we do have persistent storage capability on some of the sites. But we can’t attach it to multiple VMs. Hence, local NAS is better for us.

Thanks,

Praveen

Ilya Baldin
            Participant

Praveen,

The NAS is the persistent storage. There is no other option currently available. If you need persistent storage at more sites, please request it.

Praveen Rao
              Participant

Hi Ilya,

I was told by the FABRIC team that persistent storage (gaf-storage) can be attached to only one VM.

I am curious about the NAS storage that shows up in Slice Builder. I can attach separate “rotating storage” to each VM. (See the attached screenshot.) I believe this is different from the persistent storage that we requested for a few sites. Please let me know if my understanding is right.

Thanks,

-Praveen

Ilya Baldin
                Participant

Praveen,

NAS and persistent storage are the same thing. The portal expects the volume name to match that of the volume that was created for you. The reason it fails is because you do not have volumes ‘s1’ or ‘s2’ on whichever site you are using.

Ilya Baldin
                  Participant

If you want a volume available to multiple VMs in your slice, you may choose to create a VM that acts as e.g. NFS (or other type of network filesystem) server within a site using your pre-allocated persistent storage. Then you can mount it from your other VMs.

Praveen Rao
                    Participant

Got it. Thanks Ilya for the explanation.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.