1. NVMe hardware model

NVMe hardware model

Home Forums FABRIC General Questions and Discussion NVMe hardware model

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    yoursunny
    Participant

In SPDK-based applications, NVMe devices are operated directly at PCI layer using userspace drivers, without going through the kernel. FABRIC used to be have the Intel P4510 that has stringent alignment requirement due to lack of “SGLs” feature. In my KNIT6 presentation, this was referred to as a bottleneck, because I needed to workaround the alignment requirement in the applications.

Today I’m glad to find that GATECH location has deployed “Dell DC NVMe CD6 RI 960GB” device based on Kioxia controller that supports NVMe 1.4 protocol and handles Scatter-Gather Lists with no alignment requirement. This would greatly improve application performance.

Nevertheless, I’d like to test my application on both kinds of NVMe devices. Is there a table to show which NVMe model is deployed at each site? FABRIC Site Hardware Configurations article mentions the “aggregate ad model JSON file” but the linked GitHub repository has been deleted.

I could make a slice on each site to discover its NVMe device model and capabilities. But then, do all NVMe devices at the same site have the same model?

Ilya Baldin
      Participant

Hello @yoursunny,

Let me put together a short learn article on this subject (with a table, like you ask). The NVMes in each site are indeed the same, but they differ across sites. They are all read-optimized 1TB models though.

Ilya Baldin
        Participant

Here is the article I promised:

https://learn.fabric-testbed.net/knowledge-base/fabric-nvme-drives/

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.